Definition of Fiber optic and function, advantages and disadvantages of Fiber optic for network purposes
For the 2 types of cables It is probably the most widely used from the past to the present. But as time goes by, people want access to higher speeds and maximum data transfer capabilities. In fact Coaxial and Twisted cables are enough to meet the standard but certainly need the latest innovations with a variety of advantages.
The high speed of access in a network is certainly the most sought after, especially for Internet browsing purposes. This is what is behind the emergence of the Fiber optic cable and in a snap directly get its own place in the community.
Definition of Fiber Optic
Different from other cables carrying electricity, the fibre optic cable is a type of cable that serves to convert the electrical signal into light and to multiply it from one to the other. The main ingredient of this type of Fiber optic cable is from glass fibers and plastic that is very fine, even smoother than a piece of human hair. Different from other cables that use materials from copper.
There are 2 types of transmission modes, which utilize the laser beam as its transmission media and Multi Mode which uses LED media. Usually this type of Fiber optic cable is more often used in a network installation with middle to upper class.
Fiber Optic function
Basically, the function of the Fiber optic cable is the same as the other type of cable that connects between the computer or users with each other and within the scope of a particular network.
The differentiator is the high speed of access as well as faster data transfer capabilities. For speed of sending data can be up to Gigabit range per second. In addition, because it does not carry electric cable This type is also affected by electromagnetic interference so stable in its use.
But of course with the many advantages gained must certainly be paid more expensive, that is why this type of cable is not used by carelessly. Usually, large-scale companies and telecommunication operators prefer to use this Fiber optic cable. Even now the Wi-Fi developer company has started to use Fiber optic because it is faster and stable.
Fiber Optic Advantages and disadvantages
Although it comes with a higher ability than the previous type of cable does not mean this Fiber optic cable has no shortage at all. Below we describe the various advantages and disadvantages that you can get if using Fiber optic:
Fiber Optic Advantages
- This type of Fiber optic cable has the ability to deliver data with large capacity and very far transmission distance. With Gigabyte per second capacity, it provides freedom for companies – Internet companies and phones choosing high bandwidth.
- Although it has the ability of a large physical form of this cord is smaller compared to other types due to the material of glass fibers and plastics. This allows the availability of a sizable space.
- Because it does not use electric Fiber optic cable is free from interference electromagnetic signal, radio signal, and has a strong resistance also so that many companies are used large.
- Although it has a high access speed but still the possibility of data loss is very low, so you don't have to worry about data validity.
- Because it does not use electricity then the possibility of a short circuit also will not happen, so in terms of security is also very assured.
Kekurangan Fiber Optik
- Kekurangan terbesar dari kabel Fiber Optik adalah harganya yang cukup tinggi, hal ini sangatlah wajar mengingat bahan – bahan yang digunakan serta pemasangannya. Oleh sebab itu pengguna kabel jenis bukanlah sembarangan melainkan perusahaan atau penyedia jasa komunikasi yang memang menginginkan akses lebih cepat.
- Selain memakan biaya besar pada saat pemasangan, untuk perawatan Fiber Optik pun juga memerlukan biaya yang tidak sedikit melihat alat – alat yang digunakan juga tidaklah murah.
- Perhatikan juga penempatan kabel Fiber Optik, biasanya dipasang pada jalur yang berbelok atau yang memiliki sudut melengkung agar proses berjalannya gelombang bisa lebih lancar atau tidak terhambat.
The bottom line is in the Fiber optic cable using the way it works by utilizing the mirror to produce the total internal reflection or the language in general is the total reflection on the glass fibers.
That is the notion of Fiber optics that you need to know especially if you want to install a network. Although it has a fairly high price but by looking at the benefits and profits gained it is very reasonable that some large companies prefer this type of cable.