According to the explanation of M Muhar Omtatok, a historian and historian, ambon bika cake is inspired by the typical Malay cake, Bika or Bingka. Furthermore, it is modified with developer material in the form of palm sap / palm wine until hollow and different from the typical Malay Bika or Bingka cake. Furthermore, M. Muhar Omtatok mentioned that this cake is called bika ambon because it was first sold and popular at the Jl Ambon-Sei Kera Medan intersection. If ambon is known as a souvenir of the typical city of Medan, North Sumatra. In Medan, Jalan Mojopahit in the Medan Petisah area there are at least 30 shops selling this cake. Each store at this location can sell more than 1,000 packs of bika ambon per day before the holiday. It is estimated, the name bika ambon arises from the habits of the people who were new to the bika produced in Jalan Ambon, Medan. The mention of bika ambon has finally become a tradition along with the development of this food industry. (source: wikipedia)
I saw this recipe in the NCC mailing list written by Mas Gunz for traditional Indonesian Week snacks. It's just that there is a little addition of ingredients & additional shaking time in the manufacturing process. The original recipe owned by Mrs. Fatmah Bahalwan in Bika Ambon Oval, it's just been converted in a uk.20cm pan by Mas Gunz.
Material A (prickly):
- 75 gr Wheat
- 150 gr Fresh Coconut Water
- 8 gr instant yeast
- Material B:
- 470 ml thick coconut milk taken from 2 coconuts
- 2 sheets Pandan leaves
- 8 sheets lime leaves
- 2 sticks lemongrass, geprek
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Material C:
- 12 items egg yolk
- 300 gr refined sugar / caster sugar
- A pinch vanilli
- 225 gr farm sago
HOW TO MAKE
- Mix all ingredients B, cook while continuing to stir until boiling so that the coconut milk does not break. Turn off the heat, set aside, wait until the nails warm.
- Mix all ingredients A (prickly) stir until smooth. Let stand for 15 minutes or until the dough is foamy the sign of active yeast.
- Beat C ingredients (except sago): egg yolks + sugar + vanilli until the sugar has dissolved.
- Enter the sago flour in 3 stages while filtered, stirring using a whisk until smooth.
- Add ingredients A (prickly), shake well. Then enter the ingredients B (coconut milk). Beat well using whisk.
- Strain the dough.
- Shake the mixture using the whisk by going back and forth for 15 minutes. Or you can also use your hands, mix the dough like making a battered pastry and apem selong cake yesterday. So that the fiber is beautiful. After shaking, leave the dough for at least 2-3 hours. Until a lot of foam appears on the surface of the dough.
Use fresh coconut water that has just been removed from the round coconut.
After applying the oil, heat the pan first in the oven.
After the dough has been left for 2 hours, there will be a lot of foam on the surface of the dough. First remove the foam by scooping it up, then pour the mixture under it into the pan. Do not stir the mixture again, the nest will be damaged.
Use only fire below, so that the top of the hole still beautiful. The oven door should be opened slightly during roasting.
- Pour the mixture into a 20 cm baking pan that has been polished with oil and preheated (don't mix again). Bake in a hot oven 180 degrees Celsius, whose door is opened slightly, until cooked. #I am 1 hour in the oven door open a little + 10 minutes while the oven door is closed and turn on the fire. Lift and let it cool out from the pan.