What is Web Hosting? Understanding of Web Hosting and its Types
The server is a physical computer that is run without interruption so that your website can be accessed at any time by anyone. The web host's duty is to keep the server active and running, secure it from malicious cyber attacks , and move content (text, images, files) from the server to your site's browser.
What is Web Hosting and How Does it Work?
Basically, the way web hosting works is almost the same when you want to rent a house. You have to pay a monthly rental fee for the server to function fully.
To minimize risk, each hosting package at Hostinger offers a 30-day money back guarantee from the time of purchase so that you can try the service first, whether it's needed or not. You can even glance at our single package that is specifically designed for a simple web or blog. If later the website is growing and traffic is getting crowded, then you can upgrade to a hosting package that has a larger capacity.
If you want to use our services, you don't need to master a technical programming language to manage the site. The Hostinger hosting account has a graphical user interface so you can manage every aspect of your website. For example, you can upload HTML and other files to the server, install content management systems like WordPress, access the database, and backup your site.
Although the cPanel hosting platform is widely used by web hosts, for some users who lack technical knowledge, the use of this advanced tool is a bit of a headache. For this reason, our team created its own control panel for Hostinger users. Hostinger's control panel has an attractive and intuitive user interface and is easy to use, even for beginners in the hosting world. Until now, Hostinger's control panel has helped our clients manage and develop all aspects of the hosting account without problems.
In addition to providing server space for websites, web hosting providers also offer other services related to website management, such as:
- SSL certificate (to secure the site using the https: // protocol)
- Email hosting
- Page builder
- Developer tool
- Customer support services (can be via live chat)
- Automatic website backup
- One-click software install (for example, for WordPress or Drupal)
Types of Web HostingEach web host service provider offers different types of hosting to suit the wants and needs of clients. Here are examples of hosting that is often used:
- Shared Hosting
- VPS ( V irtual P rivate S erver) Hosting
- Cloud Hosting
- WordPress Hosting
- Dedicated Server Hosting
Usually web hosting providers offer more than one hosting package for each type of hosting. For example at Hostinger, our shared hosting service offers three hosting packages.
- Easy to use for beginners (don't even have to master programming languages)
- Pre-configured server
- Easy-to-use control panel
- Server maintenance and administration is carried out by the hosting provider
- Little or no control on the server configuration
- If traffic is high on other users' websites, this will affect the performance of your site
By using VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting, you are still sharing the server with other users. However, the web hosting provider has allocated a number of parts for yourself on the server. This means you get a dedicated server space and get a certain amount of computing power and memory. In addition, VPS hosting is the right choice for high-traffic business website users.
- Dedicated server space (without having to buy a dedicated server)
- Increased traffic on other websites has no impact on your site's performance
- Root access to the server
- Easy scalability
- Can be managed alone
- Very expensive when compared to shared hosting
- Must master information and technical knowledge related to server management
- Little or no downtime
- If the server error, it will not affect your site at all
- Resource allocation on request
- Pay according to what you use
- More scalable than VPS
- Costs are difficult to estimate
- Root access is not always available
WordPress hosting is another form of shared hosting and is made for WordPress website users. The server is specially configured for WordPress and your site is equipped with pre-installed plugins on important things, such as caching and security. Because the configuration is very optimal, your site will load faster and avoid problems. WordPress hosting packages often include additional features related to WordPress, pre-designed WordPress themes, drag-and-drop page builders, and specific developer tools.
- Cheap (generally has the same price as shared hosting)
- Easy to use for beginners
- One-click WordPress installation
- Good performance for WordPress sites
- Customer support masters things related to WordPress.
- There are pre-installed WordPress plugins and themes.
- Only can be used by websites that are made on WordPress (problems can arise if you want to link many websites on the server, but some of your websites aren't made using WordPress).
Renting a dedicated server is as good as having your own server, but on a dedicated server, you are assisted by reliable customer support.
- Full control of server configuration
- High reliability (you don't need to share server resources with other users)
- Root access to the server
- Guaranteed security
- Must master technical knowledge related to server management
Difference Between Web Hosting and Domain NamesApart from website hosting services, you also have to buy a domain. However, what is the difference between web hosting and domain names ? Website hosting is the server space for your site, while the domain is the address of your site - for example, our domain name is hostinger.co.id . If the user wants to access your site, then they will type the domain name into the browser's address bar. The server, then, will move the requested content.
In most web hosts, you have to buy a domain name separately. On the other hand, if you previously have a domain name, you can transfer it to the current hosting provider. As with hosting packages, you must pay a domain name every year to secure domain ownership.
So, What Is Web Hosting?Now you already know the meaning of web hosting and everything about this service, especially if you want to create a new website. Generally, website hosting is a service that you need if you want to connect your site. By introducing a website on the internet, you are able to reach millions of users throughout the world.
A good web hosting will display site content on the internet, provide an unforgettable browsing experience for your website visitors, and attract as many users as possible to access your website.